So until very recently I haven’t really been big on the idea that Denna is a princess, but very recently, as I did what I love to do -and obsessed over KKC artwork- something came to my attention that I can’t ignore. (more…)
In Chapter 18 of Name of the Wind, Kvothe has a dream. He tells us when he wakes that it is a dream of two parts. “I thought very little of the other matter of the dream. Ben had never taught me sailors’ knots. My father had never finished his song.” He didn’t want to think about the second part, but as readers we should. These few paragraphs are absolutely stuffed with multiple layers of imagery we know to be very important to the story. But even more, I believe this short sequence… is the story. It is the author and Kvothe’s sleeping mind telling us what is to come. (more…)
Being a devoted wordsmith, it is not surprising that Patrick Rothfuss pays special attention to how his books are translated, as he discusses sometimes on his blog. While English is my first language, I have some competency in Japanese and French. I have both Japanese editions of NOTW (same text, just different covers), and have recently acquired the French versions of both NOTW and WMF . (WMF is not out in Japanese.) Being the obsessed fan that I am, I have started to look at some things across these language versions of the books. (more…)
This blog loves delving into the “edge” sources for KKC information, and BioLogIn on reddit has just put together a really nice compilation of such sources here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KingkillerChronicle/comments/7ngla8/kkc_sources_list_sorted_by_canon_tiers/
I’m currently doing some deep dives into the differences in the French and Japanese translations of NOTW. (Boy would I like it if they put out the Japanese WMF!) Hopefully I’ll have enough sensical information for a post soon. But in the mean time, that thread is a great one (whether or not you agree with the canon tiers).
Basically being a Patrick Rothfuss fangirl, with an emphasis on conjecture that uses material not from the core books, but that Rothfuss had his hand in.
Right now those sources are:
- Name of the Wind Tenth Anniversary Illustrations (don’t forget to check the making of section!)
- Albino Dragon NOTW Cards Kickstarter
- Elodin Enterprises NOTW Cards Kickstarter
- Pairs Kickstarter– Faen, Commonwealth, and Modegan Decks
- “How Old Holly Came to Be” short story
- “The Lightning Tree” short story
- 2017 True Dungeon at Gen Con, which was set in the Kingkiller universe.
- Felurian Cage Match “fanfic’s” by Rothfuss
- (I have yet to extract anything new from the Kvothe vs Aslan and Kvothe (Bast really) vs. Jaime Lannister fics, but they also exist.
- PAGE 2 OF 2 -